Re: [DML] Re: Clutch replacement advice

Quoting content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Oh, I almost forgot. On the top of the transmission, holding the
> triangular shift cable bracket, is (cue dramatic music): THE BOLT FROM
> HELL. No joke: It is the most amazing piece of hardware on the entire
> vehicle. Per original design, you can not bolt that bracket on while
> the transmission is on the ground, then slip the cable in after the
> transmission is reinstalled.

Want a bet? :-) I've done a number of DeLorean clutches and you can
remove the crossgate cable from the bracket before dropping the
transmission. It's a bit of a struggle, but there is just enough flex
in the cable to make it possible, if you remove the strengthener
bracket first! (one long 13mm bolt)

Use long bolts to assist in lining up the transmission but once it's
close enough to slip the correct bolts in, you can then go the last
bit by simply tightening up the bolts in sequence so the tranny goes
in squarely. The problem is aligning the input shaft to the spigot
(pilot) bearing, not the splines.

The crossover pipe gets in the way of the top of the clutch fork, but
it's hardly disasterous. You just have to edge it in a bit more slowly.

I've been fitting and using the OEM uprated turbo clutch for a while
now. The pedal feel is marginally lighter (longer splines) but it's
rated for more torque and for my money, should last longer as a
result. The kit includes the release bearing and an alignment tool

Martin

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: