[DML] Re: Clutch replacement advice

I guess it boils down to owner philosophy. Rather than struggling with
design limitations, I prefer to modify them for ease and simplicity.
The slot in my upper bracket is now shaped like a simple letter "U".
Cable easily slips in and out. As already noted, the lower bracket
holds the cable from underneath, so once it's in place there's no
chance of the cable falling out. I anticipate zero problems -- at
least regarding the shift cable -- the next time I drop my transmission.

Some owners seem reluctant to stray from any original designs. While
that makes sense from a concours perspective, for a daily driver it's
akin to pushing water uphill. Our cars were somewhat cobbled together
from the factory. Every time an owner encounters flaws, he or she has
an opportunity to correct them. I sieze those opportunities with
relish. For example, years ago I struggled to remove the machine
screws from my luggage compartment plates without ripping out the
rivnuts (lost only one). Rather than going back with metal screws, I
substituted nylon ones. They've been riding around in there as happy
as can be ever since, not rusting or welding themselves to anything.
When I removed those plates last week, the screws spun right out. No
matter how old the car gets, I  do not anticipate problems with them
ever again.

Flaws in the exterior lighting circuit hold a special place in my
heart because they almost burned my car up. Not only is the dash
switch unfused, but everything after it (or not after it, as the case
may be) is misdesigned. Why, for example, is the A/C panel constantly
illuminated, even in broad daylight? Unless an owner wants to melt his
or her plastic overlay, there's no reason to leave that part of the
circuit stock. Same with automatic gear shift illumination. It's been
many years since I threw my rear window defroster switch away (there's
a useless piece of engineering), but isn't it constantly illuminated
as well? The cigarette lighter bulb is the only one keyed to the
headlight switch.

I suspect this post will generate more than its share of flame mails
for besmirching JZD's good name and disrespecting his vehicular
creation, so let me point out yet again: *MY* name is on #5939's title
-- no one else's. I am well within my legal rights to correct whatever
flaws it left the factory with. Moreover, until I attack another
owner's car with side cutters and wire nuts, no one has been harmed or
needs defense. Don't raise the spectre of subsequent ownership or DPO
because #5939 will not be sold until the executor settles my estate
(at which point I'll be long gone and won't care much what anyone
thinks). No matter how ephemeral American freedom becomes, it's still
my DeLorean to do with as I wish.

See y'all in Maryland next month....

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:
>
> Quoting content22207 <brobertson@...>:
>

> > Oh, I almost forgot. On the top of the transmission, holding the
> > triangular shift cable bracket, is (cue dramatic music): THE BOLT FROM
> > HELL. No joke: It is the most amazing piece of hardware on the entire
> > vehicle. Per original design, you can not bolt that bracket on while
> > the transmission is on the ground, then slip the cable in after the
> > transmission is reinstalled.
>
> Want a bet? :-) I've done a number of DeLorean clutches and you can
> remove the crossgate cable from the bracket before dropping the
> transmission. It's a bit of a struggle, but there is just enough flex
> in the cable to make it possible, if you remove the strengthener
> bracket first! (one long 13mm bolt)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: