[DML] Re: stage II

A forest fire starts must more quickly, much more reliably, and
procedes much better with a blow torch....

Auto manufacturers usually use whatever engineering or materials yield
the greatest profit margin. Take our "premium leather interiors," for
example. The only leather in the whole thing are the seat *FACES*
(sides and back are vinyl). Why did DMC use such cheap headlight
switches? Surely better performing models were available at the time
(this same principle applies to every improved item the vendors
develop). Are you going to chastize owners for upgrading to
"performance" trailing arm bolts? Or better fan fail and lock modules?
Or metal radiators? Or metal coolant expansion bottles? Or metal
clutch fluid lines? Or metal door handles? (Apologies for going on and
on, but I do get a kick out of all the aftermarket *METAL* products
vendors keep designing for out plastic cars).

I don't mean to sound snippy, but owners who upgrade in this area
usually receive disproportionately harsh replies to their posts. Of
course old and worn out ignition components should be replaced,
whatever form their replacements take. Dourvin did K Jet owners a
great disservice when they made the cap & rotor so difficult to access
(plugs are no walk in the park either). That partly explains the
preponderance of worn out ignition components. Imagine how many more
caps & rotors would be changed if the distributor had been located at
the other end of the cylinder head!

Only the unrealistically hopeful would expect even a 5% performance
increase from upgraded ignition (or any other simple component swap).
I don't think that's why most owners do it. Rather, they figure: "If
I'm going to be replacing these components anyway, why not go with
premium components? The cost differential is negligible, and my labor
is a pain in the arse no matter what I put back in there." There are
definite performance advantages to high voltage ignition, but they
tend to manifest themselves in starting reliability, running
efficiency, and other such engine behavior that really matters more to
the typical DeLorean owner than track times.

If it makes you feel any better, I am similarly vexed about those
multi-electrode spark plugs. You're only going to get one arc, to one
electrode, even if the plug has a hundred others scattered around the
head, so why not use a traditional single electrode plug and simply be
done with it? But if an owner wants to burn them, so be it. As long as
he or she doesn't try to stick them in my engine, everything's cool.
I'm certainly not going to tie myself in knots over $10 worth of spark
plugs, in someone else's vehicle.

And this will really blow your mind: I (of Ford patronage) recommend
Delco plugs. No matter what other evils flow out of Flint Michigan,
General Motors did pioneer high voltage ignition in this country.
Their plugs simply perform better and hold up better in a high voltage
environment.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> The spark only initiates combustion. You can start a forest fire with
> a lighter or a blowtorch, doesn't affect the result. Increasing the
> voltage can allow a larger gap on the plugs which can increase spark
> duration. This can allow some minor changes in the timing. Hardly
> worth it. The big problem I see is that the whole system was not
> designed for it. Even if you change the ignition wires what are you
> doing about upgrading the distributer cap, spark plugs, and rotor? If
> it was so easy to improve performance this way the factory would have
> done it. This stuff was available in the late 70's, early 80's. Cap
> Discharge also was too. Be wary of easy to change items that make
> these kinds of claims. If you were to add up all of the HP that these
> kinds of things claim, air filters, oil, coils, and the like,
> according to them you could double your HP!!!!!!!! It ain't happening!
> Engineers get exited over 5%. Also consider reliability. How long does
> this stuff last and how long does it give ANY increase? The main
> reason cars now use higher voltages is so the plugs don't need to be
> changed as often as the gap increases due to wear. Has nothing to do
> with increasing power.
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: