[DML] Re: stage II

The spark only initiates combustion. You can start a forest fire with
a lighter or a blowtorch, doesn't affect the result. Increasing the
voltage can allow a larger gap on the plugs which can increase spark
duration. This can allow some minor changes in the timing. Hardly
worth it. The big problem I see is that the whole system was not
designed for it. Even if you change the ignition wires what are you
doing about upgrading the distributer cap, spark plugs, and rotor? If
it was so easy to improve performance this way the factory would have
done it. This stuff was available in the late 70's, early 80's. Cap
Discharge also was too. Be wary of easy to change items that make
these kinds of claims. If you were to add up all of the HP that these
kinds of things claim, air filters, oil, coils, and the like,
according to them you could double your HP!!!!!!!! It ain't happening!
Engineers get exited over 5%. Also consider reliability. How long does
this stuff last and how long does it give ANY increase? The main
reason cars now use higher voltages is so the plugs don't need to be
changed as often as the gap increases due to wear. Has nothing to do
with increasing power.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "welmoedj" <joe.dalton@...> wrote:

> I did change those parts, not bcause they were worn out, but because
> they are old! Besides a 40kVolt coil delivers a stronger spark than
> the standard 18kVolt from Bosch.
> Stronger sparks give better combustion, thus cleaner exhaust gases, a
> smoother running engine, probably also a more fuel efficient mileage
> and a little improvement in performance. That's why I changed those
> parts.
> All little things adding to a better performing car.
> A performance car is something totally different(ours ain't a muscle
> car).
>
> I wonder why you mention those parts not to be performance parts?
> Maybe not what you would use in racing, bot all that helps to improve
> performance can be called performance parts IMO.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)