Re: [DML] Title Search

Most States charge for title searches. They NEVER give information out
over the phone, they don't know who they are talking to. The State DMV
also won't know if the loan is paid off unless the Leinholder
contacted them and recorded it as such. Not the way it is usually
done. The Leinholder (usually a bank) has a title issued with them
listed as Leinholder and they hold the origional. This way if the
owner was to ask for a duplicate to "replace" a "lost" origional,
everyone can still tell that the bank is owed money. When the loan is
paid off the bank stamps the title paid and gives the origional to the
owner. This is how it is done in New Jersey and most "Title" States.
In the Bill of Sale it generally will hold the Seller responsible to
protect the Buyer against "defects" in ownership. What this means is
if someone comes to you after the sale and says they are still owed
money on the car you can sue the person that sold you the car for what
you will have to pay to "clear" the title. Now if the car turns out to
be stolen you will lose the car but again you can sue the person who
sold it to you for your damages. None of this is pleasant so you try
to make sure the car is "clean" BEFORE you hand over any money. Ask to
see the Title. Do a Carfax. If you know someone in the Police
Department maybe they can "run" the car's vin for you. Doing Title
searches can take weeks. And you would have to run every State to
REALLY know it is "clean". Unless you have a history of the car and
can know exactly which States it was EVER titled in.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas" <dmcvegas@...> wrote:

> Contact the state's Department of Motor Vehicles, and see what they
> say.  At the very least if you have the serial # of the Title itself
> they should be able to tell you if THAT particular "Title Number" that
> has been issued for the car is the valid one.
>
> If it's not the current valid Title Number, then you know there is
> trouble. You should be able to retrieve that info at least.
>
> -Robert
> vin 6585 "X"
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Brandys <BobB@> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know how to search a D's title to see if any liens are on
> > it BEFORE purchasing the car?
> >
> > Bob

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional