[DML] Credit Card Fraud, etc.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Derek" <derek.grozio@...> wrote:

> I wanted to post this for the DeLorean community members who only frequent the DML.
> Over on DMCTalk.com I have read several stories over the past 8 months of several
people
> who have had their credit information stolen after placing orders with DMCH. I didn't
think
> much of it and assumed it was just a fluke or coincidental.
<SNIP>

Now just to be fair, this may not be an issue with DMCH. I once used Priceline.com to book
a flight, and had my credit card information stolen. In that case, the issue wasn't because
Priceline.com has compromised my information (security breach in software, internal theft
or otherwise), but because of the company that they used to process their transactions
had the security breach. 40 million card holders were affected, and I was but one of them:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/06/18/MNGV6DASVM1.DTL

Not just with DMCH, but with anyone you make online purchases with you have security
issues ranging from the vendor's website, the clearing house that processes/transfers
funds for the transactions, and even if not most importantly is YOUR computer. Everything
from "Phishing" scams to keystroke loggers can compromise you personal and financial
information right at your home computer.

1. DON'T reply to e-mails that ask you to reverify your personal information. Banks and
other places don't ask you to verify your personal information in conjunction with your PIN
# or Social Security #. And if your account or card EVER becomes compromised and the
bank is aware of it, they're gonna ask you to come into a branch to provide photo ID to
clear things up. Which is exactly what happened in my case.

2. Be careful of what websites you visit, and DON'T download any unfamiliar files or
attachments from e-mails that you don't know what they are. Everything from keystroke
loggers, to porn dialers can be downloaded and installed if you don't pay attention (the
latter dials international #'s where your call keeps getting forwarded, and bills your for the
individual toll charges each time the single call gets forwarded to another country).

3. Clear out those old cookies and Spyware! Some websites don't actually store your
financial information on them. YOU store it on YOUR hard drive inside of a cookie. Spyware
too can scan for information like this as well!

Not only is it a good idea to run updated antivirus software, but anytime you suspect any
type of fraud, ESPECIALLY involving your PC, get it checked out!

The best scanner online that's free is right here, and it's one I've always reccomended to
customers/guests that I deal with:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

It's free, and Java based so that it doesn't install anything onto your computer. What's the
catch you ask? While it detects infections and risks, it doesn't uninstall nor correct them.
They'll give you information and instructions on how to manually remove viruses and
infections, but the scanner will not do it for you. With a bit of computer savy though,
manually removing infections isn't difficult at all. And even if you use a virus scanner
already, it still doesn't hurt to run it through this one too.

To get rid of your Spyware, try Ad Aware. I've been amazed by how many computers I've
had this run on, and found large amounts of Spyware installed upon. This too is free.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

I'm only now starting to pay regular attention to community news here, and this is the first
that I've heard of this. What I'm wondering about here is what else you and other fraud
victims might have in common? Being members of the same message boards, perhaps a
webcrawler got a hold of everyone's e-mail addresses, and may very well have sent you all
infected e-mails that could have been opened, or something else? Spyware, and even
recently an actual virus were discovered to have finally been transmitted by banner ads
like the one you see at the top of the page here. So to investigate things, other than
ordering from DMCH, what do you and the other victims have in common? And have you
filed a police report yet?

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<*> Your email settings: