RE: [DML] The merger of threads. (New DeLorean/Museum)

RE: [DML] The merger of threads. (New DeLorean/Museum)

Marc:

I have offered my help to James et al in putting together the museum,
but I'm not on their board and to date I have not done anything for
them.  I have not had any conversations with them as to their plans or
motivations, but I can make informed assumptions, I build and renovate
museums and visitors centers for a living.

First, I'm sure there are very good an honorable intentions for simply
having a museum; carrying on a legacy, telling a story, sharing
documents, all that good stuff.  That is the part everyone is either
focusing on or trying to quantify - how pure are everyone's motivations
- and even if they are pure what might happen in the future.  There is
another side to the whole concept of a museum, and profit has its place
in this side as well.

It is safe to assume that everyone on the museum committee as either
individuals or within their companies has a number of items of value
that would go in the museum.  They have value and they are just sitting
on the books.  They are tying up capitol, space, they need to be stored
and cared for properly - but you would NEVER throw them away.  While
historically significant and irreplaceable, they are albatrosses around
the necks of their owners.

So you own a significant car, worth a lot of money, you spend $ taking
care of it and you can't and won't sell it - what do you do?

You start a not for profit museum organization.  You donate that
artifact and get the tax write off while simultaneously ensuring the
safety of that item for the future. Win: Win.

Not for profit organizations and museums have rules, guidelines, and
procedures.  I'm sure somewhere (in Houston probably) Enron had a Museum
or not for profit archive and they cheated and stole and yes yes yes -
it could somehow be abused - these guys are not Enron.  Darth Koncelik?
James Rove perhaps?  I don't see it.

I'm sure as businessmen everyone involved with both a business and the
museum sees the financial benefits of transferring assets to a museum,
and I see nothing Machiavellian about that.  If DMCH drives itself to
bankruptcy due to making bad business decisions, all those artifacts and
assets would get destroyed, lost, or sold at auction (history repeating
itself).  Of course they want profits and thank God they are getting
some.  It makes both financial and moral sense to do a museum.  I
question neither the motives nor the ethics of those involved.  I don't
think the creativity or the potential windfall exist to turn the museum
into a private ATM for those involved.

The financial logic of setting the museum up as a not for profit seems
clear to me, personally.  Before anyone chooses to donate money or goods
to any museum, charity or not-for-profit, its wise to understand the
nature and workings of that organization.  If you want to consider
donating something, ASK if you can get a tax write off, ASK how the item
will be stored and used - ASK.  I would not donate anything to be
stacked on the inventory shelves at DMCH and used to generate profit.  I
won't donate anything which will be stored in a shed in New Orleans
below sea level either.

If you don't like the museum or its committee, don't donate anything,
but I'd say it's unfair to suggest at this point that they are out to
take advantage of anyone.

My opinion only.

Tom

10902