[DML] Re: fuel tank crash safety

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "daviddlasvegas" <daviddlasvegas@...>
wrote:

> Has there ever been any concern about the location of the fuel tank
in
> a severe frontal collission? Most cars these days hide the fuel
tank
> under the middle frame. I know the DMC fual tank is technically
inside
> the frame so to speak, but its all the way in the front. Wouldn't
the
> tank be comprimised in a severe frontal collission? Watching the
old
> crash test videos, the entire front of the car is demolished at
40mph.
> I guess you'd also need an ignition source and the hot engine is in
> the rear so that's a plus.
>
> Here's how the Ford Escort fuel tank did at a 70mph crash at the
> NJTurnpike tollbooth. Granted the impact would probably kill you
> instantly but I wouldn't want to cook like that.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bj_3oUxuo

That is one of the items that was very well done by Lotus
engineering,unless your cover plate/frame is really really
rusted/rotted,the chances of puncher or explosion is slim to none...a
bigger concern is of old fuel lines leaking,causing a fire.
 I used to have a all wheel drive dodge caravan,and that had the same
type of molded plastic tank,with NO cover plate,it was just hanging
under the van with the two typical straps,that are commonly used on
metal tanks.

By the way here is a  Factory crash test of a Bricklin at 30 mph,and
that Bricklin was repaired and sold...can't say the same for the
factory crash test Delorean,notice the doors still open and
close/roof is still intact etc,unlike the Delorean where the Test
Dummy was seriously maimed.

http://bricklin.org/BI_CrashTest.htm

CBL

<*> Your email settings: