From: daviddlasvegas [mailto:daviddlasvegas@xxxxxxxxx]
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:43:52 -0400
Subject: [DML] fuel tank crash safety

Has there ever been any concern about the location of the fuel tank in
  a severe frontal collission? Most cars these days hide the fuel tank
  under the middle frame. I know the DMC fual tank is technically inside
  the frame so to speak, but its all the way in the front. Wouldn't the
  tank be comprimised in a severe frontal collission? Watching the old
  crash test videos, the entire front of the car is demolished at 40mph.
  I guess you'd also need an ignition source and the hot engine is in
  the rear so that's a plus.

  Here's how the Ford Escort fuel tank did at a 70mph crash at the
  NJTurnpike tollbooth. Granted the impact would probably kill you
  instantly but I wouldn't want to cook like that.
  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4bj_3oUxuo

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: