RE: [DML] Re: Still running 2700 ohms...

RE: [DML] Re: Still running 2700 ohms...

Actually, it seemed that the problem was that the distributor was generating
"extra" pulses. Dave T. is right; it puts out a sort of sine wave, except
that, because it is an odd-fire engine it puts out 2 waves fairly close,
then a larger gap, then two again, etc. The problem we were seeing were
random, spurious, very narrow "spikes" within the large gap where there
sould be no pulses. These were picked up by the ECU and translated to the
ouptut (as confirmed by comparing channel 1, input to channel 2 outputon the
'scope). This also explains the "twitching tach".  We suspect the resistor
attenuated the amplitude of these narrow pulses enough so they they fell
below the threshold of the ECU. Dave D. confirmed that he initially solved
the problem by increasing the resistance until the problem went away (hence
the 2700 ohms). I still don't understand the reason for these random spikes,
but it might have to do with charge building up and not being discharged
completley where it should.

Tom N

>From: "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [DML] Re: Still running 2700 ohms...
>
>If you want to get technical about it the resistor is moving the
>baseline of the sine wave.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: