[DML] Re: Still running 2700 ohms...

If you want to get technical about it the resistor is moving the
baseline of the sine wave. With the peaks lower it is within the
operating envelope of the ECU so the engine runs smoother. It is NOT
changing the R/C constant, the pulse coil is outputting a sine wave
(or something close to it), all a resistor can do is affect amplitude.
The ECU creates the C/D values probably in relation to RPM. The pulse
coil is just telling the ECU when to fire in relation to the position
of the rotor to the distributer cap (and effectively to the position
of the pistons and valves of the motor). Also with the info from the
coil the ECU can calculate RPM. My guess is some of the pulses were so
far off that the ECU was not firing for every cylinder. That is why
ALL the gaps MUST be equal and of course correct.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Well, that may explain Dave's problem then...  the
> 2700 ohm resistor would change the capacitor discharge
> time (RC Constant in the ECU) putting the pulse back
> where it belongs.
>

> --- Martin Gutkowski <martin@...> wrote:
>
> > I *think* the result will only be that the timing is
> > offset slightly
> > becasue the ignition amplifier is triggered when
> > polarity switches (ie
> > the waveform passes through 0v). EFI systems do NOT
> > like being plugged
> > in backwards FWIW, they miscalculate the "missing
> > tooth"
> >
> > Martin (who's been researching EFI again...)
> >
> > Marc Levy wrote:
> >
> > > Does the pulse coil have polarity?? Maybe at some
> > > point the wires in the connector were reversed?
> > >
> > > I know the car will RUN either way, but maybe the
> > > signal from the pickup is distorted if the
> > polarity is
> > > reversed.

> > > No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go
> > > with Yahoo! Mail for Mobile. Get started.
> > > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
> > <http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail>

> > removed]

> Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect.  Join Yahoo!'s
user panel and lay it on us.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: