Re: [DML] What's the difference between ALTERNATOR and GENERATOR

Re: [DML] What's the difference between ALTERNATOR and GENERATOR

A generator puts out DC (direct current) while an alternator puts out AC
(alternating current). Generator has a simpler construction but generates
less power. Alternator requires a bridge rectifier made up of diodes
(usually 6 of them) to change AC into DC. Alternator makes more electricity
for the same size unit.

As for the light... there could be a couple of reasons. Lower wattage bulb
was probably the cause. And the reason to use a dimmer bulb is that
generators usually can't keep charging at idle, so that GEN light would come
on at idle. As not to distract the driver too much, the light was dimmer.
Those were the days of those dim yellow headlights... dead batteries ;)
aahhh, the memories

Hope this helps

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com