RE: [DML] Re: Car's use of electricty / alternator & battery question

RE: [DML] Re: Car's use of electricty / alternator & battery question

Sorry Dave,
An alternators job is not to charge the battery like the old generators did
but to top them off. If you have a good battery and it's low sure the
alternator will top it off but if you barely can start the car and you think
the battery will be fully charged when you get to the destination then you
may be in for a surprise.

Now if your going on a drive and it's 200 miles away on a nice day when you
don't need the air condition and lights and you have almost no load on the
system and a low battery and a good alternator then I'll say it will charge
the battery. But normal driving around town day and night radio on ac on and
lights on then tell me how many people had a dead battery when they went in
somewhere and came back out and the car wouldn't start.
Battery chargers take 4 to 8 hours to charge a battery with no load.

Any alternator shop or someone that knows the alternators will tell you
that.
As far as the resting period, why do you think the Motorola's are leaking
and burning up. They were trying to recharge the weak or low battery and run
all the high loads of the car at the same time and they finally melt and
gave up.
Why also do you think isolators are made for duel battery systems.
Everything needs a cooling down period.
John Hervey