[DML] Re: Garage Carpet??

Please follow these basic rules before putting a carpet down in your
garage,

Being a Carpenter by trade,I have seen what putting carpet on a
Concrete slab will do,It will trap moisture from the concrete and the
carpet will absorb it like a sponge,and cause all kinds of nasty air
borne mold and mildew when you walk on it,and also it is a good place
for all kinds of buggers to nest in comfort.The Moisture is dependent
of your area and soil,if you have a lot of clay,or history of
moisture do NOT lay down carpet on your concrete unless you do as
below.
First off BEFORE laying down the carpet you should either put down a
very thick plastic or tarp,to keep any moisture from migrating from
the concrete slab and into the carpet,or use Masonry paint or
specialty 2 part epoxy paints made for garage floors,if you have any
cracks in your concrete floor fill those in first,also do a very good
sweep or use a leaf blower to get all the crap off the floor,and give
the floor a very good washing and then let it fully dry before you
lay down the plastic or the tarp(use the more heavy Duty green poly
tarp,if you will be using a tarp,once that is done,you can lay down
the carpet,now give the carpet a good cleaning with the vacuum
cleaner,now the important part...you must lay down plastic(Use clear
plastic,so that you can see the carpet) or tarp over at least the
areas where something might possibly leak from the car,now tuck the
excess tarp or plastic under the original plastic or tarp,now you are
all set to drive you Delorean onto the carpet.

Hope this helps

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dick Ryan" <deloreanbiker@...> wrote:

> A few years ago we replaced the carpet in our dining room.  I put it
> in the garage stall that houses our DeLorean.  Does it do any
good?  I
> really don't know, but I know that it puts the other two cars in the
> garage in their place!!!
>
> Dick Ryan
> VIN 16867
>

> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Parts Pit Mike <thepartspit@> wrote:
>
> >   Does a carpetted garage have ANY benefit? To the tires maybe?
> Seems to me potentially dangerous if you run the engine in the
winter.

> >   Thoughts?
> >   Parts Pit Mike
> >   VIN 17076