Re: [DML] Garage Carpet??

"I was told carpeting in the garage was a good idea to help cut down
on moisture..."

Actually it will have the opposite effect.  The carpet will actually
hold moisture, not a good thing to have sitting under your car.
Humidity comes up through concrete and the carpet can soak it up like
a sponge.

What you do want is to park on a large plastic or rubber mat, which
will act as a moisture barrier.  This is especially useful for those
of us who store our cars during the long, damp winter months.
Many people are surprised to see all the moisture under the mat after
a month or so, moisture that would have been collecting under the car.

I suppose if you put down a plastic or rubber mat THEN put carpet
over that it would be OK, but would just be a fru-fru item more than
anything.

Sandor
# 3002

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <bill.schafer@...> wrote:

> I was told carpeting in the garage was a good idea to help cut down
on moisture and thus slow down the rust process associated with
storing a car for the winter. I have had two of my three car bays
carpeted for over 6 years now.

>  I leave the one bay uncarpeted to be able to do oil changes and
repair work. The carpeting I have was given to me by a friend who had
replaced his old with new carpeting and I have found it cuts down on
dust as well.

>  I like the carpeting benefits and would recommend it.
>
> Bill
> 11546
>
> "Plan for the worst, hope for the best,
>  anything better than worst is to your advantage".

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)