Re: [DML] Re: Broken torsion bar

>Just as David stated, the driver's side is another story. The torsion bar
>has a small bright spot on it
>on the front side of the rear hinge. The bright spot is about one eighth of
>a inch wide and has to be
>caused by the bar touching something, probably the top of the roof hinge.
>The bright spot is perfectly
>smooth and has no scratch or indented feel.

Same exact problem here - perfect passenger clearance, driver side touching.
I removed the bar completely, slotted the eyelets on the T-bar mounting
bracket, and widened the opening through the roof structure.  I was able to
gain about 2mm clearance between the bar & hinge.  I also placed a small
piece of shrink tube near the affected area.  That was last year, and so far
so good.

The scary part: Before the procedure, if I replaced the bar and mounting
plate & inserted the bolts, you could see the t-bar bend outward slightly.
It wasn't just rubbing the hinge - it was rubbing with a decent amount of
outward pressure applied on the bar.

My car had a driver's t-bar adjustment to compensate for a failing strut,
probably some time in the 80's or 90's.  I'm guessing that the steel
mounting plate was bent upward, drawing the t-bar closer to the hinge.  That
process may have simply worsened a preexisting design problem.

-Luke
10270

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional