[DML] Re: Broken torsion bar

It is not possible to adjust the bar away from the hinge. I am
familiar with the roofing materiel you are refering to. It is not
meant to take much mechanical abuse. I think the materiel from an old
inner tube is much more durable. Go to any big tire shop and I am sure
if you ask nice they will give you an old, shredded inner tube. Even a
bike shop would have old inner tubes, same materiel. Truck shops best
source, many trucks still use inner tubes. When I adjust torsion bars
I slip a piece of rubber between the bar and the hinge just for piece
of mind. I usually have some extra pieces so I just leave the piece in
there. If you get an old inner tube you will have enough for every
Delorean within 100 miles! You don't have to "stretch" the stuff into
place. You can put your fingers (NO RINGS) around the bar and just
pull it away from the hinge until you can slip the rubber into place.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Rod Dillman <rhdillman@...> wrote:

> After reading David's last post regarding a possible solution to
torsion bar failure, I inspected both on my car. The passenger side
bar easily clears the rear hinge and shows no sign of it touching any
part of the hinges. I can get two calling cards between it and the
roof hinge.  Just as David stated, the driver's side is another story.
The torsion bar has a small bright spot on it on the front side of the
rear hinge. The bright spot is about one eighth of a inch wide and has
to be caused by the bar touching something, probably the top of the
roof  hinge. The bright spot is perfectly smooth and has no scratch or
indented feel. I took a piece of EPDM roofing material and cut it
about one half of an inch wide and about six inches long. I placed it
in front of the hinge, behind the torsion bar and streached it until
it went behind the bar at the bright spot. Contact held it in place.
Once i

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: