[DML] Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud - Update

[DML] Broken Exhaust Manifold Stud - Update

You may remember my post re: this topic.

It was suggested to me (by Rob Grady) that all studs should be
replaced, but I am not in a position to do so at this time.

I purchased an easy-out kit with the reverse fluted drills, assorted
sized e-z outs, as well as the new stud, washer, nut and exhaust
gasket and set about trying to remove/replace the broken one.

While this particular stud (rear-most upper on the left) is
accessible with your hand without removing any other parts, I found
that to get a drill in there however, I had to remove the muffler.
Unfortunately, my right-angle pneumatic drill does not have a
reverse mode on it so using the reverse drill bits was out of the
question (snapped the smallest one off, wedging the electric drill
motor up in there).  I used regular (right handed) bits (in the
right-angle, high-speed, pneumatic drill head) and (as was suggested
by someone in replys - thanks) began with a very small bit, working
my way up to larger ones , trying the e-z outs as I went along.
Ended up with an SAE sized bit approximately 6mm (don't know the SAE
size), then grabbed the 7mm tap and screwed it into the new/old hole
to create/clean out the threads.  That being done, I screwed in the
new stud and voilla!  All this was done without removing the
manifold.  In fact, the manifold gave me a bit of a visual guide to
be sure I was remaining centered on the stud while drilling.

All in all, not a pleasant job, laying on the concrete floor of the
shop, working above my head with the tools for a couple of hours,
but a successful outcome.

For others, my best suggestion for this job would be a) patience! b)
use the right tools - don't try shortcuts c) Patience! and d) Have a
shop do it.

Craig Werner
07181

<*> Your email settings: