[DML] Oscillation on braking - Update

You may remember my question about getting an oscillation (back and
forth) upon braking from high speed (freeway offramp).  This is an
update to that post.

First, let me thank all those who replied for their input.

Yesterday, I opened the master cylinder resevoir and what a goopy,
dirty mess that fluid was!  I went about draining, refilling and
pumping out all the old fluid, replacing it with new DOT 4 fluid.  I
found that (as one reply suggested) the front right caliper was
sticky, not allowing the rotor to spin as freely as the left one
does.  I compressed (spread) the brake to depress the caliper piston
as far as I could, forcing fluid out and forcing the piston
backward, past the "hang-up" spot in its cylinder.  I (and a friend)
pumped new fluid through the system, clearing all air and filling
the system according to the factory service manual.  After all
wheels were done and fluid was coming out nearly clear (slight
yellowish, just as it comes from the new bottles), I topped off the
resevoir, buttoned everything up, torqued each wheel down per specs
and gave it a test drive.

Braking is smooth, even and there is no oscillation at all in the
steering when braking down from speed, or any other time.  I had the
same fears as some responders suggested, bad caliper, mis-torqued
wheel causing warp, warped rotor, etc. but opted to try the "simple"
and "cheap" fix, first, staging up to other options if that didn't
work.  Fortunately for me, this worked like a charm.

Hope this is of some value to others with similar problem.

Craig Werner
07181

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional