[DML] Re: Oscillation on braking - Update

[DML] Re: Oscillation on braking - Update

If your brake fluid was that bad you can expect the master cylinder
and the calipers to start leaking. Keep an eye on the level in the
master cylinder. If it starts going down check the master cylinder and
under the carpet on the driver's side for signs of leakage. That will
usually happen first. If a caliper was sticking expect it to happen
again. A sticking caliper will generally cause the car to pull to one
side, not cause oscillations. If you have a 5-speed you should be
checking the clutch fluid too. I have also seen a caliper "stick" or
not fully release because of a bad hose. The inside of the hose comes
loose and acts like a check valve. Unfortunetly there are usually no
"quick fixes". A sticking caliper usually means it is corrroded
inside. If one is corroded you can expect the whole system to be corroded.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dadoc2791" <gekko@...> wrote:

> You may remember my question about getting an oscillation (back and
> forth) upon braking from high speed (freeway offramp).  This is an
> update to that post.
>
> First, let me thank all those who replied for their input.
>
> Yesterday, I opened the master cylinder resevoir and what a goopy,
> dirty mess that fluid was!  I went about draining, refilling and
> pumping out all the old fluid, replacing it with new DOT 4 fluid.  I
> found that (as one reply suggested) the front right caliper was
> sticky, not allowing the rotor to spin as freely as the left one

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)