Re: [DML] Re: Painted VS Stainless

If you are talking about larger scales, I'd agree..
However, with a specific item (A DeLorean), it DOES
have impact.

Having helped at least a dozen people locate or
inspect DeLoreans, and having been on the DML since
(almost) the very beginning, I can say that most
people shopping for a DeLorean ARE concerned about the
future value of the car.

Most of us who own DeLoreans may not consider them an
"investment", but future value is not something that
should be ignored.

If someone new to DeLoreans signs on to this forum and
sees people claiming "Modified DeLoreans" are worth
less, or (in this case) "Painted DeLoreans are worth
less" then they will expect to pay less.  They will
demand to pay less!

Even if someone as a specific desire to own a painted
car, they will expect to pay less just because someone
told them so!

Why would someone pay a premium for a painted car when
the "experts" tell them it is worth less?

This works very similar to stock manipulation.  If
eveyone gets a tip that a stock is going up, it always
does (in the short term).

--- Dan <djdanwilson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Marc - The bottom line is the free market dictates
> the general value
> of anything. Although things like taste are purely
> subjective, as in
> what's better, stock vs. modified, collectively
> those individual
> opinions translate into fact. If more people desire
> cars in their
> stock form, then more people will pay a higher price
> for a stock car,
> which in return will make the value of modified cars
> diminish, OR vice
> versa. The subjective taste of the majority will set
> the general value.

that gives answers, not web links.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional