[DML] Re: Painted VS Stainless

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> This is the exact reason I have been so outspoken
> about the attitude that surrounds the Concours
> competition.
>
> When you have people declaring with self-appointed
> authority that a "Concours Delorean" is the "best of
> the best" and is therefore worth more, it continues to
> devalue a delorean that is PERCEIVED to be modified in
> any way (Just because the car does not match the
> manual does not make it modified).

Marc - The bottom line is the free market dictates the general value
of anything. Although things like taste are purely subjective, as in
what's better, stock vs. modified, collectively those individual
opinions translate into fact. If more people desire cars in their
stock form, then more people will pay a higher price for a stock car,
which in return will make the value of modified cars diminish, OR vice
versa. The subjective taste of the majority will set the general value.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Why is it that with so many DeLoreans running around,
> so few are in Concours if these cars have more value?
> Based on the breakdown, I'd say the daily drivers are
> more desirable.  It is just that an owner of a
> concours winner wont sell as low as the rest of us.

Why should they? If you drop enough $$ into a car to bring it to a
certain level, you stop "running around" in it. Use = wear 'n tear.
Concours cars are usually cosmetically pristine. Wear on any vehicle
makes it less attractive. Less attractive, more difficult to sell at a
premium. If you go to a Mercedes dealer, and they have two used '04 E
Class cars for sale. One is Certified, low miles, appears babied and
like new, and they have one with considerably more miles, dull paint
w/ rock chips, worn seats, well used, etc. but both are $35K, which
one are you going to pick? The one that appears hardly used, or the
obvious daily driver? Easy choice.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Based on the number of peoples choice awards your
> Yellow DeLorean has won, I'd think it would have a
> higher value that a "concours" car..  but, if you put
> it on Ebay no one is going to bid 40K for it because
> of the self fulfilling prophecy that modified cars are
> worth less.

Two reasons modified cars generally have a difficult time selling for
as much as stock. First - taste, as in when you take a stock vehicle
and "make it your own" by picking up a JC Whitney catalog and going to
town, among other things, you do truly make it your own. While you may
be proud of your one off creation when you roll into that cruise-in
making whatever statement it is you are attempting to make, the price
you pay comes at sale time when you must find someone who comes close
to sharing your unique taste, otherwise a potential buyer must settle
for what you have done. People do not pay top dollar for anything when
they feel they are settling for something. All they are thinking about
is "how much is it going to cost me to strip that black paint off",
and they deduct that from what they are willing to spend on the car
itself. If it's not worth it, they simply seek out something else, and
there you are stuck with your "creation". Your other option is to hold
out until you find that person who appreciates your creation and is
willing to pay your price, then it's a waiting game. Time = money.

Second reason - "Bubba". "Bubba" is that almost mythical person who
has found their way into your car's inter workings at some point prior
to your ownership, and whether a hacked repair job or a poorly
executed mod, basically screwed things up, leaving you to deal with
the consequences. Not many of us have met "Bubba", but chances are we
have all seen his work. Stock, unmodified, unmolested, concours, or
whatever you want to call it means "Bubba" has not left his mark on
the car. That's another reason stock vehicles are generally more
desirable. You know what you are getting.

Are modified cars always less desirable and hold less value? No. If
Foose modified a car, it will demand top dollar. Foose has a rep. Joe
Blow, along with a JC Whitney catalog does not.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "funkstuf" <funkstuf@...> wrote:

> A couple of thoughts on the "value" of these Deloreans.
> Certain people value originality. That's generally the people that
> were around when the car was made.  If you look at a Ford Model A,
> the street Rod versions can bring a lot more than the original style.

DeLoreans are not street rods. This type of vehicle does not lend
itself well to such alterations. You're comparing apples to oranges.
Coming from a Corvette background, I dare say a Blooming Gold
Certified vintage Corvette, especially if it's a survivor, will easily
fetch a much higher dollar than one similar that had been "hot rodded"
by God knows who and how. Unlike your average dime a dozen street car
(Model A or Civic), which needs customization to stand out (chopping
the top and fenders off or fart can exhausts and picnic table wings),
exotic cars like DeLoreans, Porsches, Ferraris, and others do not.
They already stand out simply by their nature.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
www.az-d.org

<*> Your email settings: