[DML] Re: Painted VS Stainless

A couple of thoughts on the "value" of these Deloreans.
Certain people value originality. That's generally the people that
were around when the car was made.  If you look at a Ford Model A,
the street Rod versions can bring a lot more than the original style.
When I talk to my son about 80s Deloreans, or old 60s Mustangs he
basically tells me that his generation will be only be interested in
the modified, or street rodded versions with custom interiors, paint
jobs, and sound systems.  He doesn't have any nostalgia or fond
memories of growing up with original muscle cars, or "80s" cars
because he was born in the 90s.  This seems to be quite true of the
1940s and 1930s cars now.  Modified street rods have far more
monetary value.  From a market standpoint, the concours value will
most likely become a moot point because the fact is, a modified
updated vehicle with newer technology tends to be nicer to drive,
nicer to show, and for those that weren't around when the old was new
and don't have any nostalgic feelings, simply nicer to have because
the fact is, technology is making better cars today than yesterday.
That's coming from someone with two unpainted, original style
Deloreans.
Dale Funk
941
4984

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:

> Interesting comment Ron..  :)
>
> This is the exact reason I have been so outspoken
> about the attitude that surrounds the Concours
> competition.
>
> When you have people declaring with self-appointed
> authority that a "Concours Delorean" is the "best of
> the best" and is therefore worth more, it continues to
> devalue a delorean that is PERCEIVED to be modified in
> any way (Just because the car does not match the
> manual does not make it modified).
>
> Why is it that with so many DeLoreans running around,
> so few are in Concours if these cars have more value?
> Based on the breakdown, I'd say the daily drivers are
> more desirable.  It is just that an owner of a
> concours winner wont sell as low as the rest of us.
>
> Based on the number of peoples choice awards your
> Yellow DeLorean has won, I'd think it would have a
> higher value that a "concours" car..  but, if you put
> it on Ebay no one is going to bid 40K for it because
> of the self fulfilling prophecy that modified cars are
> worth less.
>
> Say it enough, and it becomes true.

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: