[DML] Re: Coolant Level - Winter Seepage

[DML] Re: Coolant Level - Winter Seepage

Leaks are not good under ANY circumstances. You may have to replace
your hoses, water pump, and/or radiator. The cooling system MUST be
leaktite. Puddles are BAD. Eventually you will get enough air in the
system to make it airbound, the pump won't pump coolant and then the
motor will overheat. If you think it will be expensive to get the
cooling system into good shape wait till you see what it will cost you
when you cook the motor!!!! Pay attention to the warning signs, (the
small puddles), the car is trying to tell you something.
 A 50/50 mix is EXACTLY what you use to refill the cooling system but
if you find yourself doing it often then it is leaking and that is a
problem.
 The coolant is ALWAYS checked when cold, NEVER HOT! The cold level
should be about 1/3 of the bottle unless you use a coolant overflow
system. If you EVER look in there and it is empty you have a leak and
it must be fixed as soon as possible.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Watkins <outatime81@...> wrote:

> If you have a stainless steel bottle like I do, how do you know the
best level for coolant?  Do I check it when its cold?  Where should it be?

>   Also, for refilling, is it ok to use the Prestone 50/50
pre-diluted mix?  I think there is another knock off brand as well.

>   Also, is it unusual for a car stored for the winter in VERY cold
temps to have some coolant leakage.  During the spring, summer and
fall I have no leaks at all.  It's only when the car is stored do I
see a signs of seepage.  I start the car every few weeks and let it
run for an hour or so.  I get the tiny quarter sized puddles during
this time.   I think it may be the exteme cold shrinks the rubber and
there is not as tight a seal but when milder temps come it re-seals as
it expands.  Does that sound plausible???

>   Thanks
>
>   Tom Watkins
>   #05732
>

> Find me on Google Earth