From: L. Sandel <ls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 9:26:37 AM
Subject: Re: [DML] Adding front speakers

Yes - I created some fiberglass pods & added 6.5" speakers (!) to that area.
Also added a 10" sub to the locking compartment, and a 100% hidden amp
behind the parcel shelf. I have pictures of some of the process here:

http://lukesandel. com/techgallery2 /main.php/ v/Auto/DMC- SuperStereo/

A few notes:

-This was the first time I'd worked with fiberglass. I think it worked out
pretty well, actually, even if I did catch a few air bubbles between layers.
I had to remake the sub box 3 times to get it right, tho :O

-I did the entire installation -- pods, sub, amp, tweeters -- and only
drilled 4 holes in the car (to mount the amp). Even the pods themselves use
the pre-existing studs for the kneepads. Looking back, I probably could
have mounted the amp with a massive quantity of velcro, instead.

-This took a long time, especially while wearing a respirator in the summer
heat!

While the pods do protrude into passenger space, it's not bad at all. The
trunk release is still perfectly accessible, too. Passengers have had no
complaints.

-Luke & 10270

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional