Re: [DML] Re: selling a D overseas

On 1/30/07, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As fair as it may seem to you, the seller, it is very dangerous for
>  the buyer. At the same time you will have the buyer's money, the car
>  AND the title.

That's the price they pay for talking me into selling a car and
shipping it overseas. Few of us actually advertise our cars in this
manner; these deals only happen when overseas buyers call us up and
say, "Oh please, oh please, can you ship to me?"

So, it doesn't much matter whether what I am asking is reasonable or
not. I'm the seller; I get to control the sale. I'm not taking a $30k
risk for some stranger. If the buyer doesn't like it he can go
elsewhere and I'll sell the car to someone closer. No sweat off my
back.

> Would YOU buy a car under those circumstances? I think not.

Why not? I am well known in this community. My name has been plastered
all over the various DeLorean boards for years. So, yeah, I'd buy a
car under those circumstances. If Martin in the U.K. or Tom in Poland
had a car for sale that I wanted, I'd be happy to send either of them
thirty grand and let him hold it for 6 weeks while he waits for the
check to clear. Or you, for that matter. Or anyone else who posts here
regularly and has people in the community who can vouch for him.

>  One way to overcome these problems is to use a trusted 3rd party.

The real way to overcome it is to get on a plane and fly over, inspect
the car yourself, pay in person and make your own arrangements to ship
it out. "Trusted 3rd parties" have turned out to be scams as well.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: