[DML] Re: DMC spark plugs

Short answer: the platinum plugs will start to leak between the shell
and the porcelein. Very bad since these plugs are supposed to outlast
the "standard" type. That's the main reason to spend the extra money,
not a "better" plug, just able to last longer.

The long answer:
Rob Grady was recomending the platinum plugs for a while. When he
started getting cars back with idle and running problems he found that
the platinum plugs (1 out of 6 usually) was leaking combustion
pressure. Since most Deloreans put on limited miles the regular plugs
will last a very long time. There is no need to overspend for the
platinum and take the chance of having 1 go bad. The "standard"
ignition parts are very well suited to the engine unless you make
large changes in the combustion pressure. That said, the old, standard
parts cannot so just putting in new parts will "upgrade" your ignition
system. If you do increase your ignition voltage you must upgrade the
wires, distributer cap, and rotor.  BTW if you do increase the
ignition voltage you should try to increase the gap on the plugs to
get a longer duration spark. You can do that because of the higher
voltage potential. I don't think it will make a whole lot of
difference on the PRV but that is what the higher voltage is meant to
do. As an aside, I have a turbo set-up and even with the increased
combustion pressure the standard ignition parts are just fine. Of
course they are all new so they are operating at peak performance.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Niemczewski" <dmctom@...> wrote:

> What seems to be the problem with the single electrode Bosch
platinum plugs?
> Can you tell us what the bad results are?
> I keep hearing this rumor that those plugs are bad but no one can ever
> explain why. And the reason I ask is because those are the plugs
recommended
> by the engine manufacturer! Check out the owners manual, page 38,
middle
> column under Electrical system. It says the following: Spark Plugs
Bosch
> HR6DS (Platinum Tipped). And those are the single electrode plugs.
>From my
> experience single electrode Bosch platinum plugs give the best
results in
> the D. Regular Champion plugs are..... for a lack of a better term -
the
> absolute minimum to get the engine to run.
>
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (in Poland!)
> Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
> dmctom@...
> www.deloreana.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional