[DML] Re: DMC spark plugs

I think part of the problem here might be that the type of plug you
choose should be matched to the other ignition components.

At one point, I tried running a hi-output coil on the stock cap,
rotor, chintzy wires and Champion spark plugs. What was the result?
Absolutely horrible performance as the wires and plugs rapidly
degraded from the pounding of the higher voltages. By the time I
reached 1500 miles, a few of my wires read "infinite" resistance and
the rest were far higher ohms than they should have been. My cap and
rotor contacts were scored black and I couldn't scrape through the
carbon to see clean copper.

This is probably why DMCH's Nology ignition kit is successful; all of
the components are matched to pass that level of electricity.

When I first owned my car, I found new Champion plugs in it. I
assumed that all plugs were created equal and that any company's
claims were "snake oil" just like companys that claim all these
different fuel additives will help your worn out engine. I learned I
was very wrong. Without buying the Nology kit, I've found the best
combination of components to be the stock coil, cap, rotor and Bosch
silver or copper plugs (HR6DS/HR6DC) and quality wires, either
Bougicord or John Hervey's silicone wires. If you install one of the
various hot-rod coils, they will work and you may notice a marginal
increase in power, and ease of starting but this will fade and may
cause the car to run worse as the cap and rotor contacts carbonize,
especially if you run bargain, high resistance wires.

Oh BTW, I may be wrong here, but my import parts house states that
HR6DS are silver tipped not platinum, hence the "S" in the
designation and HR6DC is copper. There is an HR6DP "Platinum" single
side electrode plug available. So assuming that info is correct, the
manual is actually telling us to use silver-tipped plugs.

Anyway the point is, if you're going to deviate from the stock
condition, at least try to match your ignition components to prevent
creating resistance "choke-points" which will eat the components
previous to the choke-point.

Rich A.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Niemczewski" <dmctom@...> wrote:

> What seems to be the problem with the single electrode Bosch
platinum plugs?
> Can you tell us what the bad results are?
> I keep hearing this rumor that those plugs are bad but no one can
ever
> explain why. And the reason I ask is because those are the plugs
recommended
> by the engine manufacturer! Check out the owners manual, page 38,
middle
> column under Electrical system. It says the following: Spark Plugs
Bosch
> HR6DS (Platinum Tipped). And those are the single electrode plugs.
>From my
> experience single electrode Bosch platinum plugs give the best
results in
> the D. Regular Champion plugs are..... for a lack of a better term -
 the
> absolute minimum to get the engine to run.
>
> Tom Niemczewski
> vin 6149 (in Poland!)
> Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
> dmctom@...
> www.deloreana.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional