Re: [DML] "Fastest" DeLoreans (WAS: Don Steger's cams)

Re: [DML] "Fastest" DeLoreans (WAS: Don Steger's cams)

Ryan, I wasn't making light of what you've said, in fact I know very little about the GM 3.8 engine. I guess I was just pointing out that the engine discussed as the "Worlds Fastest DeLorean" had many unique parts not common to the 3.8 engine.  Everything from pistons and rings to camshafts were Gale banks designed. Custom made push rods. valves, valve springs, rockers, and lifters are utilized. To facilitate keeping the engine low enough in the chassis and still offer maximum lubrication the lubricating system was changed to dry sump with oil tanks in various positions in the pontoons. The twin turbos produced up to 16 lbs boost, 525 hp at about 7000 rpm's. About the only thing original to the GM 3.8 is the block and basic heads which were dramatically modified. One could say the Buick V-6 engines used in Indy cars during the 80's were related to the 3.8 engine as well but they too were miles apart from the engines found on the street. Distant cousins would probably be the best way to describe the "WFD's" engine's relationship with most 3.8's.

Bruce Benson

  Bruce,

  With all due respect, the engine you speak of was not "miles apart";
  in fact, it was the same engine family. To begin, there is no "Fiero
  3.8"; they had 2.4 and 2.8l engines. My last Fiero had a custom engine
  swap - a Buick 3800SC engine out of a '90 Bonneville - which is, as
  best as I can tell, the same as a "Grand National" engine:
  -Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: