Re: [DML] "Fastest" DeLoreans (WAS: Don Steger's cams)

On 12/23/06, BRUCE BENSON <delornut@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The car in question has a twin turbo intercooled Buick Grand National engine that was
> "tricked out" by Gale Banks. It features, among many things, a dry sump oiling system. I
> believe it's rated is somewhere near 500hp. It's miles apart from the Fiero 3.8.

Bruce,

With all due respect, the engine you speak of was not "miles apart";
in fact, it was the same engine family. To begin, there is no "Fiero
3.8"; they had 2.4 and 2.8l engines. My last Fiero had a custom engine
swap - a Buick 3800SC engine out of a '90 Bonneville - which is, as
best as I can tell, the same as a "Grand National" engine:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_3800_engine

Now, I am sure Don's engine had a lot of custom work that mine did
not. Knowing nothing about the setup I can only speculate, but I'm
guessing he started with a 3800 Series II or III as a base and added a
lot of goodies from there. I may have to do some more research into
this; I did not realize one could extract that much horsepower out of
the Buick V6s. I loved the 3800 in my Fiero; other than the heat
soaking, which I'm told was only a problem with the Series I, it was a
joy to drive.

The 3800 is a nice swap. If I'm not mistaken there is some work going
on by Arizona DeLorean club members to engineer a kit solution for
swapping these very engines into DeLoreans. Perhaps they will speak up
here.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional