[DML] Re: Electrical problem

Our conclusion for this is that the power window motors do not  have
a ground at them to complete the circuit even when we put power
directly to the motor.

You are right the motor does not have its own ground.  As Knut says  there is
NO fixed ground on the window motor so applying +12 volts to any or  both of
the motor wires will not do anything.

To explain further,  the window switch provides both the power and the
ground for the motor and depending on whether you want the window to go up or  down
determines which wire of the motor gets + and which gets -.

"...When we short the power pin on the power window switch connector to
one of the pins that goes to the power window motor the motor still
does  not run (even though we know we are shorting power directly to
the wire to  the motor)..."

When the switch is in the center position it is disconnected from the motor
all together.  As a DC motor it will change direction if the power is
reversed.

Look at the schematic and you'll see both wires from the motor go to the
switch and none is grounded.

You can test the motor and wiring by applying a + and a - (ground) to the
wires of the motor.

The Zilla schematic is better than the one in the  manual, IMHO.

If you still need more help let me  know.

Dave Delman
D² & 6530
now with Color Organ and 2700 ohm  resistor

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)