From: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
James Espey
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2006 9:43 PM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Re: Black Vin plates

In the USA, at least, model years of cars are defined by the 10th
character of the VIN. 1981 DeLoreans have the letter "B", 1982
DeLoreans have the letter "C" and 1983 DeLoreans have the letter "D".

The last shipment of cars from the factory WHILE IT WAS STILL
CONTROLLED by JZD/DMC came in January of 1982. From that point forward
through about May of 1982, cars continued to be built and were parked
either at the docks or the factory.

In November 1982, when Consolidated bought these already built cars,
the model year in the states had already shifted "production-wise" to
1983 models. By the time Consolidated was able to get these 1000 or so
cars to the states, it would be January/February of 1983. Based on the
VIN, these cars would have to be sold as 1982 models. So, Consolidated
replaced all the VIN plates on these cars, changed the "C" to a "D"
and added 5000 to the "serial" number at the end of the VIN. On most
of these cars you can remove the headliners and see the original VIN
handwritten on the door.

These plates were glued on, because it is ver difficult to get the old
rivets out completely, and also difficult to get the new rivets in
with the dash/windshield installed.

The cars that were still on assembly line, partially completed, that
had sat from May 1982 to November or so had not yet had VIN plates put
on the cars, so it was easy to install the VIN plates correctly. These
are the 20XXX series VINs.

Look for an article on this in an upcoming "deloreans" magazine, with
an interview with someone from Consolidated who was there at the time.
It's an interesting look at the production numbers, and helps to
understand why the exact number of DeLoreans made is somewhat of a
mystery.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Nelson, Allan" <abnelson@...> wrote:

> I'm not questioning the accuracy of what was stated below but how would
> 10XXX and 12XXX VINs "appear to be a year old"?  The VIN (at least the
> last 5 digits in this case) is simply a build sequence number.  How
> would anyone interpret a build date from that?  The build date is still
> printed on the plate in the door jamb, correct?  This would seem to be
> where people could get the idea that the car has been sitting around a
> while, not the dash plate.  Just curious.
>

> Al

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: