[DML] Re: Ignition ECU

I would check the gaps on the reluctor to the pick-up coil. It is
possible one of the prongs is not gapped properly and the resistor is
somehow dampening the flicker. It would also make that cylinder
misfire so you should also clean and regap the spark plugs.
 As for the ignition ECU, it needs to be grounded separately too. I
had a problem with a Lambda ECU, it grounds through a bulkhead connector
back to the motor and it was not getting there so the Lmabda didn't
function correctly. Take a look at D:04:12 term # 16 and #5 on the
ECU. They BOTH have to be grounded for the ECU to function. Now look
at M:18:04. One terminal is grounded directly. If it is not the
ignition ECU will not function at all. If it is a poor ground it will
probably confuse the ECU and cause it to have weird symptoms. It needs
that ground to work and to ground the ignition coil. Grounds are as
important as feeds! If you do not have solid grounds the current
cannot get back to the battery and you do not have a complete circuit!
Unfortunetly it is harder to diagnose poor grounds than poor feeds so
the ground side is usually ignored! On European (foreign) cars many
times it is the ground side of the load that is switched. A little
unusual for mechanics used to working on American cars. On American
cars the only circuit that is switched on the ground side is the
courtesy lights! And that is done only because of the multiple
switches that control it so it is cheaper and easier to do it that
way.  Bottom line if you think the ground is causing the problem run
another good, solid ground temporarly and if the problem goes away
then you know what you have to do!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757