[DML] Re: Converting a Delorean to Right Hand Drive for Australia
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[DML] Re: Converting a Delorean to Right Hand Drive for Australia



I had to convert mine to RHD because at the time i bought it the car 
was under 25 years old and the rule was you couldnt register 
a 'wrong hand drive' car that wasnt concidered 'vintage'(25 years). 
The 25 years passed this year and it still isnt on the road anyway! 
Only a few months off now though. Glad i did the conversion as it 
will feel normal every time i get in it. 

Will post some pic's soon. 

Martin- got the barrel cooler in and the M90 hooked up. Booked in 
for another Dyno run in 2 weeks! 

For the other guy who asked the origional question - Dont be under 
a 'cheap alternative' illusion. I paid $8200 US for a non runner 
with a good body and low miles but by the time that car arrived at 
my garage with taxes, freight etc etc it owed me 20K Oz$. Then the 
fun and excess $ starts.

Nick






--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@...> wrote:
>
> I disagree..
> 
> How many miles did I put on Tinny in a little over a
> week?  I think it was about 2000.
> 
> Driving on the correct side of the car (left), but the
> wrong side of the road (left) was not so bad..  But I
> did not enjoy trying to look right when pulling on to
> a traffic circle (roundabout).  Good thing I had a
> passenger who I quickly trained to yell "clear" when
> it was safe to go.  I knew she would pay attention,
> because if we got hit it would have been on her side
> of the car.
> 
> What was scary was being on the right side of the car
> (passenger) while driving on the left..  Even though
> Dan and Martin are "spirited" drivers, I am used to it
> when oncoming traffic is on the other side of the car,
> and there is actually enough space for 2 cars to pass
> each other!  I think Dan made me turn white on one of
> my rides in his car.
> 
> As for tolls, I got a laugh when the passenger handed
> me the money for the first toll we hit.  I looked at
> her and asked, "what would you like me to do with
> this?".  It took her a second to realize she had to
> pay the toll!
> 
> Almost as funny as watching all of the Brit drivers
> accidentally go to the right side of the car when they
> get in their DeLoreans.
> 
> Why convert the car? It adds to the uniqueness of it. 
> On the rare occasion I see a LHD car in the USA, I
> think to myself "cool!".  Saw an old LHD cooper the
> other day.
> 
> --- Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd <martin@...>
> wrote:
> 
> > This is an interesting point about us drivers here
> > in the UK (where we 
> > have most of the original right-handers). Once you
> > get used to left-hand 
> > drive in a DeLorean, a right-hooker just doesn't
> > feel "right" (in fact I 
> > like to call them "wrong-hand drive" but that's just
> > me!).
> > 
> > The only problem* with LHD on the left of the road
> > is overtaking. In 
> > fact visibility on the motorway and in traffic is
> > much better on the 
> > left, and especially when it comes to roundabouts,
> > it's excellent 
> > because there's no A pillar in the way when looking
> > right.
> > 
> > * Oh, and the Dartford tolls....... but I'll let
> > Chris Hawes admit to 
> > his particular solution to that problem....
> > 
> > Martin
> > 
> >
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>









To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:
moderators@xxxxxxxxxxx

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see www.dmcnews.com

To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dmcnews/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    dmcnews-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 




Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN


Copyright 2006 ProjectVixen.com.  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive