Re: [DML] Re: Wheel Balancing Damage
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [DML] Re: Wheel Balancing Damage

Most Discount Tire shops use the GSP-9700 however they will also
over torque your wheels while re-mounting to the car.  Unfortunately 
it's an insurance requirement.  They cannot use 50 to 60 ft lbs.  
More like 150ft lbs.  It doesn't seem to ruin the lug nuts but 
would make changing a flat difficult. 

This unit also needs to be re-calibrated every day and to be 
honest it should be done more often.

To get the most from the GSP-9700 it should be re-calibrated by a tech 
who knows what he is doing.  Jarring the unit just from regular daily use 
can and most likely will cause an error in balancing.  The tires should 
be road stressed by the machine and then balanced.

If your new tires fail the road stress test they should be replaced with ones 
that can pass and then balanced.  Lot's of tire shops use this unit so if you 
can get there in the morning and use it right after it is properly setup you'll 
get the best balance possible.

Once smaller tires like the DeLorean has are well balanced it rides like 
a dream.

as always, just my opinion.

Mike Atkinson
vin 16232

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dave Swingle 
  To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
  Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:46 PM
  Subject: [DML] Re: Wheel Balancing Damage

  Take a look at You'll see pictures of a 
  wonderfully complex (and expensive) wheel and tire machine - a Hunter 
  GSP9700. You  need to find someone in your area with one. Typically a 
  BMW or Mercedes dealer, or other high-end independent. 

  If you go to there is a link to find a dealer near 
  you who is equipped with one.

  Dave S

  --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Tom Watkins <outatime81@...> wrote:
  > Does anyone know of a wheel spin balancer that doesn't use a large 
  metal plate to clamp down on the rim?  Every place I have seen uses 
  this spin on plate that when tightened down on a rim leaves a gouge 
  or scratch mark on the face of the rim.
  >    ----
  >   I know there are "Balance on the car" units but here in Maine I 
  have no idea where one would be.  Is there another method of spin 
  balancing I can suggest to my tire guy so he doesn't leave circular 
  marks on my rims?
  >   Thanks
  >   Tom
  >   #05732

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

To address comments privately to the moderating team, please address:

For more info on the list, tech articles, cars for sale see

To search the archives or view files, log in at 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

Home Back to the Home of PROJECT VIXEN

Copyright 2006  All rights reserved.

Opinions expressed in posts reflect the views of their respective authors.
DMCForum Mailing List Archive  DMCNews Mailing List Archive  DMC-UK Mailing List Archive