[DML] Re: Need help diagnosing sound (from tranny maybe?)

[DML] Re: Need help diagnosing sound (from tranny maybe?)

You say the level of the lubricant was checked. When there is a
problem with the transmission I like to pull the drain plug and see
what kind of junk is on the bottom. If you have a magnetic plug you
can see how much is on it. The color and condition of the fluid can
also tell you something about what is going on inside. By the feel you
can tell if it is gear oil. Maybe someone put the wrong stuff in. If
it is very thin maybe it is motor oil or if it is red and very thin it
could be auto trans fluid. If in doubt flush it out. If you see a lot
of grey casting materiel you may want to pull the front cover and see
if the nut on the secondary shaft is loose and eating the case. I also
like to inspect the motor mounts and transmission mounts, when you
have trans problems you also seem to have mount problems. If a P.O.
was really beating on the car you can sometimes find a broken front
left trans mount. If fluid came out when you removed the level plug
the trans is overfilled. It should be level with the plug hole. It
should be checked with the car cold and level. It is the one on the
side, not the bottom. Are you having trouble with the trans shifting
or jumping out of any gears?
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Warren Wallingford <warren@...> wrote:

> Funny noises from the transmission area should always make you suspect
> the infamous secondary shaft nut.  If the noise doesn't change or quit
> when you depress the clutch, it's probably not anything in the
> bellhousing.  Do you hear anything as you accelerate?
> Warren at DMC
>

> gklee01 wrote:
> > My car just developed a low whirring/humming/vibrating noise when I
> > come to a complete stop. It sounds like it is coming from underneath
> > the gearshift. It begins as I am approaching a complete stop (3-5
mph)
> > and sometimes continues a second or two after I am sitting still.
I can