[DML] Re: Turbo PRV

You are correct in that the actual horsepower isn't the most important
thing. Even torque is not an actual limit. The shock-loading is.
Letting up on the clutch with all that horsepower and torque suddenly
is what does the damage. Hard shifting, missed shifts, jack-rabbit
starts are the real killers. You can probably go to over 300
horsepower if you can control yourself and not abuse the transmission.
Unfortunatley once you get that power you want to use it. Things may
not break the first time you dump the clutch but the damage is
cumulative. The 5-speed may be more robust than the automatic but
everything has it's limits and we can argue over exactly where they
are. The bottom line is that if you increase the power output of the
motor you can expect other links in the drivetrain to fail. A "proper"
design MUST take into account ALL aspects of any modifacations to the
whole system. You also have to consider longevity. Since I know of the
limits set by Fred Dellis I have to assume he was trying to keep
things together for a long time since the mods they were planning on
were to be on new cars sold with a warranty so you can't have
transmissions blowing up under 50,000 miles! If you only need the
trans to last 5,000 miles (or less) you can set different design
limits. Race cars are rebuilt after a very limited # of miles or
races. They try to get the most out of the least that they must use
for weight, power, and fuel economy reasons. The price of the parts is
not as big a factor.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd