Re: [DML] Re: Turbo PRV

Hi David

I fear we may have locked horns over this one before so we'll have to
agree to disagree on these points with reference to the 5 speed
transmission. You're absolutely correct on the 3 speed. I am in contact
with the guy who developed the upgrade UN1 gearset as well as
engineering the ATB diff Quaife make. His esperience comes to this:

300hp no modifications, no problem
350hp you will start to break things - on the Esprit and GTA turbos,
it's 5th, the DeLorean (and GTA Atmo / A310) has a shorter 4th and 5th,
which to those guys, is a strengthened part!
400hp, input coupler (which Toby does).

Cases in point:

Alpine GTA V6 Turbo - 200hp from the factory, never heard of any
transmission failures, stronger clutch
Alpine A610 - 250hp from the factory, same transmission, even stronger
clutch
Venturi Atlantique 300 (single turbo) 281hp & 309ft-lbs of torque, same
transmission, but final reversed for mid-engined layout
Lotus Esprit V8 TT, again mid-engined - these DO have a habit of
breaking the transmission at 350+ hp.
The Venturi 400GT was raced at 400hp with a stock UN1 although fewer
than 100 cars were produced.

Someone recently (and very rightly said) that it's torque that kills
tranmissions, not HP and while the Island kit may peak at 200hp, does it
really put out the kind of torque the GTA turbo or indeed the Legend
engines did? I doubt it (and have experience of one such engine running
5psi, before it was rebuilt with Renault turbo internals and have just
assisted with a 3 litre GTA turbo putting out over 300hp at the wheels)

Best Wishes

Martin