[DML] Re: Turbo PRV

Fred Dellis (of Legend Industries) told us at one of the DMC dinner
events that they were able to get all the horsepower out of the engine
that they needed. I can assume with extensive internal modifacations.
The major limitation they faced was the trasmsission couldn't handle
the power. Legend had to consider the ramifacations of their changes
as far as how they would honor a new car warranty. They couldn't do
all of the upgrades and have owners coming back in droves with
warranty claims. They needed to have a durable powertrain. As an owner
modifying his own car this is not as important but it is a fact of
life that the stock trans will not live long with more than 200
horsepower. This is why the Island kit was so popular. In it's base
form it gives just under 200 horespower with no major internal
modifacations. Any more and the motor and transmission won't last.
IMHO a "proper" turbocharged Delorean needs different ratios in the
transmission to get all of the performance that a turbo can offer. I
would do that first before trying to increase boost and horsepower.
There are other low cost ways to improve performance too, intercoolers
and water injection are some of the ways.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757