Re: [DML] Specifications on Purflux LS 410C

Re: [DML] Specifications on Purflux LS 410C

Bypass valves only open if the filter clogs. They insure at least some oil
flow. But think about it. If the oil filter is clogged, the oil it is
bypassing is probably so full of dirt and abrasives that maintenance must
have been badly neglected.

I would think, and hope, that the owner of a car such as a DeLorean would
take better care of the car than to get anywhere close to where the bypass
valve, which frequently is nothing more than a flap of silicon ruber over
some holes, would open.

I think bypass valves are there for people who don't even realize that oil
needs to be changed! People who drive their cars 15000 miles between oil
changes are in this category.

My understanding is that the PRV itself contains a bypass valve which would
make one in the filter a nice to have redundancy, but hardly a necessity.

As for an anti-drainback valve, the filter sits mostly horizontally so most
of the oil probably does drain out when you turn the car off, so the first
efforts of the oil pump on restart would be to refill the filter. If the car
is filled with synthetic oil and driven frequently - at least daily - there
is probably still a minimal oil film on critical parts. If it is driven very
infrequently and/or filled with lower quality oil, there is probably some
wear occuring. Is that important? I can't say. I would just refer to the
longevity of the PRV when well maintained and say it probably is not a big
issue.

-Joe Kuchan