[DML] Re: Final drive seals & crown nut adjustment

[DML] Re: Final drive seals & crown nut adjustment

Your procedure is OK but there are a couple of points I would like to
add. First of all it is usually not necessary to actually remove the
nut unless you MUST replace the "O" ring which generally isn't
required. Secondly you MUST NOT allow the half shaft to hang loose,
you can bend the outer lip where the boot goes. Third, not everyone
has a slap hammer. The seal can be pried out with a large screwdriver
or prybar. You do not mention the importance of doing something for
the flange seal surface if it is damaged. Without replacing the output
flange, using a Speedi-Sleeve, or resurfacing it in some manner you
will just have a leaky seal again very quickly. Your procedure can't
help if you mess up and do not EXACTLY count the # of turns. A very
touchy adjustment and is the main reason NOT to remove the nut.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757