Re: [DML] exhaust and idle

Hello

John, do you really adjust the mixture by feel alone?? If the answer is
'yes' then I say that no wonder so many DeLoreans start and run poorly and
have no power. You cannot do that by feel! You are right saying that a
little bit goes a long way.. and if you would do it like it should be done
by using a gas analyzer you'd know that 1/8 of an inch might take you from
one limit to the other limit of the lambda circuit... meaning that it might
take you from too lean for the lambda to work properly to too rich or vice
versa. The frequency valve will still be buzzing all the time but it will be
in the fixed "limp-home" mode running at 50% duty. All that means that the
car will still run but it will be harder to start, might hesitate, will not
develop full power and might use more gas. This is especially true for harsh
weather - hot, cold, wet. My car starts every time in less than a second
even after sitting for two months untouched... and regardles of weather or
temperature!
The ONLY way to properly set the mixture is by using a gas analyzer
connected to the exhaust ports upstream of the catalytic converter. Another
method, although not as good, that might still work is it to replace the O2
sensor and set the mixture using a dwell meter connected to the frequency
valve. In this case you need to set the mixture to the point where the dwell
meter reads about 50% of the full swing at idle(note: not 50 on the scale,
but 50% of the full swing regardless what numbers are printed on the dial).
Plus you need to get it to a point where the dwell goes up and down and the
reading is NOT steady 50%. It usually goes from 45 to 55%. If you get a
steady reading that means you are outside the range of the lambda circuit
and the mixture is not controlled by the ECU.
When adjusting it the way it should be done you will see that sometimes just
'pressure' on the wrench might be enough to get it up or down by 10%. If you
turn it by 1/8" you'll run out of the lambda range.
DO NOT DO IT BY FEEL!!!! Do it right

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com