[DML] Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)

[DML] Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)

Hi Brian,

I don't see anything inappropriate in discussing your stainless frame
on the list, seeing as you opened this discussion by trying to
discredit my opinion on galvanised frames versus the stainless steel
frame!

However, seeing as your position appears to have changed from having
us believe it would cost $90,000 to have a frame incorporating these
features made, to you simply not being interested in spending a few
hours adding this nice touch to your frames, I am happy to not
discuss this further, on or off the list.

On a side note, did you (or anyone else on the list) ever consider
redesigning the rear suspension completely, and eliminating the
trailing arm setup altogether? I'm planning on making a 4 seater
DeLorean next year (2 + 2 setup), with a small back seat suitable for
children or adults who don't mind being a bit squashed. Similar size
to the Porsche 911 back seat or Renault Alpine...

I'll be basing the car on the Renault Apline GTA rear suspension
setup, and most probably using the back seats from an Alpine. I'll be
removing the frame from the DeLorean, stripping it and repairing any
rust, redesigning the rear of the frame to run the Alpine suspension
(or some home made similar solution), galvanising this frame, and
reinstalling it into the DeLorean body. Also, with the trailing arm
not in the  way anymore, the fiberglass body can then be cut (in the
parcel shelf area), and modified to fit a seat on each side of the
center console. With the trailing arm out of the way, the center
console will not need to "splay out" at such a sharp angle in the
luggage shelf area. This will allow a smaller seat to be placed at
each side of the console, behind the 2 front seats.

I'm just starting to research the Alpine at the moment, but it
appears to have upper and lower A arms (and rear roll bar) instead of
the upper and lower links and trailing arm setup of the DeLorean.

Obviously, the battery and electrics etc will need to be relocated.

I won't be doing it to my current DeLorean, so I will be starting to
look for a suitable car to perform this on over the next 6 months.
I'm basically looking for a car with rust on the frame, a really bad
interior, even a few dents in the stainless, but a good underbody.

Sounds like a fun project eh!

Ideas, Suggestions, Comments all welcome (except people telling me it
can't be done!). Bob Brandy's, I'd like to also put in your full size
windows into this car, so please come up with a DIY kit!

Thanks,
John