Re: [DML] Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Feature

Re: [DML] Getting rid of trailing arm setup (was Stainless Frame Features)

> On a side note, did you (or anyone else on the list) ever consider
> redesigning the rear suspension completely, and eliminating the
> trailing arm setup altogether? I'm planning on making a 4 seater
> DeLorean next year (2 + 2 setup), with a small back seat suitable for
> children or adults who don't mind being a bit squashed. Similar size
> to the Porsche 911 back seat or Renault Alpine...

Woah - hold on there for a moment.... The back end of an Alpine GTA is
very (very) different from the DeLorean. Let's start with the fact that
it doesn't have a backbone chassis, it's a steel/fibreglass monocoque
(yes, that's correct, they can't split their frames from their
underbodies without cutting fibreglass), and move onto the fact that the
car is longer to accomodate the rear seats (more of your legs go under
the dash if you get my meaning). I don't think there's enough room in
the rear of a D for a seat of any sort, even without the trailing arms.
Just look how close the rear wheels are to the back of the seats. A GTA
might have the same engine and transmission but it's a totally different
animal at the rear. You should see the gearshift linkage - it's
comically simple compared to the DeLorean. The hybrid wishbone.trailing
arm setup of the DeLorean is a Lotus design from the Elan/Esprit and
does some clever rear wheel steering when under body-roll (a function
that I still think is the reason for the single shear traling arm bolt
setup). It also provides a lightweight but extremely strong tranfter of
thrust and drag (okay, TABs notwithstanding!). It's not there to get in
the way of back seats, it serves a very definite purpose. Without
redesigning the whole chassis, I think you'd be well advised to leave
them alone.

> I'm just starting to research the Alpine at the moment, but it
> appears to have upper and lower A arms (and rear roll bar) instead of
> the upper and lower links and trailing arm setup of the DeLorean.

We had a scrap Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo for a while, and sent it on
its way after pulling the engine and gearbox. It's still being parted
out and the rear end was in good shape apart from being shockingly rusty
(when you're used to DeLoreans that are 10 years older!). The suspension
is referred to as double wishbone

Best Wishes

Martin