Re: [DML] Fuel issues - Replaced nearly everything

seanhagan wrote:
> I have posted in the past here, and have gotten some really good
> answers.
> So here is my issue...
>
> I ordered alot of new fuel parts for my car from one of the vendors.
> I got all of the lines plugged in, and all of the new fuel
> components attached to my car. I replaced the battery, because the
> old one would not keep a charge, and the car will not start. I have
> absolutely no idea why.
>
> The starter seems to crank, I am not 100% certain about the status
> of where the plunger needs to be on the fuel cutoff switch (up or
> down), but i have it pulled up, and I am getting just repeated
> cranking...
>
> I unscrewed a line at the top of the fuel distributor, I could hear
> air leak out, and gas, but the car would not fire.
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Sean
> -3372
> AZ-D

Hi Sean.

 While i'm no expert on  the K-jet( I'm doing the premier 3.0 swap in my
own D so i'm using it's EFI instead) it sounds to me like you really
need to invest in a set of pressure gages for CIS injection systems.
This is probably one of the first things any of the others will tell you
to do too. If your getting air out of the output of the fuel
distributor, it sounds to me like you either have a major leak
somewhere, or something is plumbed wrong somewhere (not sure if this is
even possible.. maybe at the accumulator? Getting the fuel pump output
and returns swapped?) One thing I'd do is unhook the fuel input to the
fuel distributor and put it in a bucket and jumper the pump to run. If
you don't get lots of gas and no air bubbles, then something is
seriously wrong upstream in the system.. You also might want to add a
bit more gas to the tank. I doubt the fuel system would hold anywhere
near four gallons, but adding another couple of gallons is good
insurance to make sure you haven't drained the tank beyond the pickups
ability to suck it up. If you go get good gas flow at the input to the
fuel distributor, then the distributor itself is probably your problem,
or one of them. If you don't, move up the system and check elsewhere.
I'd check at the fuel pump itself next. Mainly because I know the
accumulator is a major pain to get to. If you have good output from the
pump, and not at the fuel distributor, then the accumulator is the
likely culprit, if you don't get good output from the pump itself, then
the problem is in the tank somewhere.

As far as which way the inertia switch needs to be, your ear should be
able to tell you this. One way the pump should run, the other it won't.
If it doesn't run in either position then you have an electrical
problem, bad inertial switch, or a bad pump.

--
Chris
VIN# 3209