Re: [DML] Re: pics of new exhaust

Mike,

Great questions. Here are your answers:

1. Yes the Magnaflow muffler is quite close the front pulley.  A
heatshield such as the one supplied with the Flowmaster would probably
not work because there just isn't enough room for it.  The Magnaflow is
more rounded than the Flowmaster.  For this reason, I insisted on
getting the Magnaflow Jet-Hot coated just like the rest of the system.
The Jet-Hot coating not only looks good and is long lasting, but can
reduce temps off the exhaust by up to 55%.  So far, I have found the
system to run quite cool and you can touch the exhaust with bare hands
in less than 10 minutes after shut down.  I am going to try running
without a heatshield and see if there are any accelerated wear issues.
I will report as things come up, but I think things will be just fine
so far.

2. The muffler angle is non adjustable on the brackets and bushings and
is fully determined by the piping of the exhaust.  The muffler is not
defective and the Flowmaster was a little bit lower on one side during
test fitting as well.  I am bringing the car to a custom exhaust shop
next month to see if they have any ideas. Only the anal guys like you
and me seem to notice this though.

3. The supplied manifold gaskets were garbage.  I was unable to
separate them without damage to either the outer metal part or the
softer, crumbly inside part.  I tried using a razor blade, tin snips,
and a dremel.  Sorry, but after pulling my engine I couldn't bare to
use questionable gaskets on something that takes so much labor to re-do
if it leaks later. Another owner used these gaskets and the headers
leaked not long after.  He told me about the Volvo gaskets which are
far superior but more expensive.  I don't care about the cost, I just
want the best if I am going to do this!!

4. Overall noise level is louder and deeper than stock.  It sounds
GREAT and almost brought a tear to my eye as I floored it down my
street for the first time.  At low RPM's, say from 700 to maybe 1500,
the sound is deep and loud enough to be slightly fatiguing if ran for a
long time like that.  Once you get past 2250 RPM or so the sound
completely disappears and is no louder than stock.  On the interstate
today I noticed that at 75 mph there was absolutely no difference
between stock and new and I could listen to my stereo or use my cell
phone easily.  The sound difference (at least what gets into the cabin)
is completely resigned to the lower RPM's, which is the way I would
want it.  Who wants to be fatigued on the interstate?

I would be happy to provide any consultation anyone needs in this
subject.

Andy