[DML] Idle, it would not.

To the List,
Looks like there are more and more DeLoreans out there with this
exact same problem.
I too had a high idle issue (problem) that progressively got worse
and worse.  And it happened in the summer of  2005 when I was
required to have my emissions tested in the state of Washington in
order to get my license plate tabs.  If the car would not idle I
would not be allowed to pass the test.

I replaced the Throttle Cable with new old stock part 100485 and
removed the Inner Wire Rope part 111485 and lubricated it with white
lithium grease.  The original Throttle Cable had one hell of a lot
of drag on it when I tried to pull it through.
I removed the Idle/Low Speed Motor part 102502 and cleaned the air
passageway with brake clean and paper towels and cotton swabs.
I removed the Throttle Valve Assembly part 102856 and cleaned the
air passageway with brake clean and a scotch brite pad (cut into
thin strips) to remove the black residue buildup.
I removed the Lever part 102780 and Nut from the Throttle Valve
Assembly and rotated the spring 180 degrees tighter.  It would
rotate no farther than that!
I replaced the Inlet Manifold Gaskets 102284 and 'O' Rings 102283
and installed the missing Back Up Rings 102282.
I removed the Throttle Control 102782 and the two springs associated
with it and thoroughly cleaned it with brake clean then lubed the
assembly with white lithium grease.
First, I installed just the Throttle Valve Assembly and Microswitch
102778.  Then made dam sure the Screw M5 102310 hit the Microswitch
at the very moment the throttle plates were closed.  It took some
fine tuning the two Screws M5 to be synchronized.
Next came installing the Quadrant M8 102555 with the Lever and the
Throttle Control and two springs.  During reassembly be sure the
Microswitch still goes 'click' when the throttle plates close.
Next came attaching the Inner Wire Rope to the Throttle Control.  Be
sure it does not have any slack in it.
Why did I use white lithium grease?  It's all I had on hand that
appeared to be appropriate.
When you apply pressure to the gas pedal there are a grand total of
four springs pushing back.  One just above the gas pedal itself.
Two at the throttle control (one inside and one outside).  And one
at the lever arm.
The reason I did all of this was to be dam sure it was going to work
the first time so I don't have to pull it apart again.
Well, now it idles just fine.

Oh, and about the emissions.  Never could get it to pass cruise
emissions but it did pass idle emissions.  I paid out over a hundred
dollars to have a shop look at it and they couldn't get it to pass
either.  The shop signed the Washington State emissions paper and I
took that in and got a waiver for my license tabs.  Once an
automobile in the state of Washington reaches 25 years old testing
emissions are no longer required.   Yeah!!!

Mark R. Vanyo
VIN 02261
July, 1981
84,356 miles and counting...