Re: [DML] Drive the dream?

sorry to buck the trend but owning many classics and in fact a car
atall is not financially good.

They will always cost something and if you take this view on things,
you would only ever travel on foot/bike and use buses. you could
live in a tent as a hermit and save the cash, and eat porridge for
the rest of your life, you'll have lots of money when your older,
but your here once only.

Many people i think buy a car with your heart. i did with mine. yeh
it will cost, but you live once, and you can't take any with you.

if i had waited till i had $20k+, i would not have got there.
There would always be something else the wife would want to spend
money on!. she would not go for a classic car.

You can do it much cheaper, as i said many parts on the car are 25
years old (like trim etc) so buying second hand is OK.
obviously some parts have to be new, like the accumulator.
But even things like spark plugs for example can be cleaned,
regapped and reused. you have to be prepared for a lot of hard work,
but at least with these cars, money that goes into it generally can
be recovered if you decide to sell, unlike many other classics.

i'm not saying to this chap buy the car, but sometimes your heart
overules any sensibilty.

If John Delorean had stayed 'sensible' and stayed employed by
others, would any of not be here owning his dream?

just an alternative view on things!.

Regards

steve

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:

> On 1/23/06, Chris Murley <qumefox@xxxx> wrote:
> > Saying someone can't afford a delorean just
> > because they aren't rich enough is just mean. You can own one on
> > $30k/yr salary. Either you can buy a cheap one, and fix it
yourself
> > knowing you'll have about $20k in it when your done, or you can
get a
> > loan and buy one in good shape to begin with and just make
payments on
> > it like you would with any other car.
>
> Owning a car that is 2/3rds of your yearly salary is financially
> irresponsible. Period. I know people do it all the time, but if you
> told a financial planner he'd probably have a heart attack. Anybody
> who has aspirations of retiring with dignity at a reasonable age
would
> not make such a foolish mistake.
>
> If you have to engage in financial irresponsibility to own
something,
> "You can't afford it." Yeah, you can work your way into a DeLorean
on
> $30k a year. Heck, you could do it on half that. That doesn't make
it
> a good idea. Buying a classic or other specialty/exotic automobile
on
> credit is likewise a terrible idea. I'd highly advise anyone to pay
> cash for their DeLorean and it's needs or don't buy it.
>
> These are not the ramblings of some elitist jerk. Well, actually
they
> are, but that's beside the point. It's simply good financial advice
> with a healthy dose of common sense. What happens when a DeLorean
> suddenly needs a couple grand worth of work? That day will come
and if
> someone is living on $30k, making $300 a month car payments at 8%
> interest (good luck getting a loan for a 1981 vehicle at a lower
> rate), it's going to be a tough sell. So the car will sit in
neglect
> because the owner can't afford to care for it. Eventually he will
sell
> it for a fraction of what he has into it and the dream will be
lost.
> It happens all the time in this community. Where do you think the
> $7,500 DeLorean comes from? It's someone's lost dream.
>
> But don't let me tell anyone how to manage their finances, because
I'm