[DML] Re: Drive the dream?

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "biojerm" <Jedamay@xxxx> wrote:

> Im 25 and have always wanted to own a delorean, but never figured i
> would get one until i was in my 40's.
>
> As it would turn out, i just ran across someone who is selling a 82
> delorean 20k miles on it and I was wondering if I should get it...
> A handfull of misc. problems <driver window slipping, buttons
> falling off, missing keys, etc... Engine starts choking when givin
> over 1/2 throttle...Tranny gears work <automatic> but you have to
> manual switch to first, then manual switch to drive at the right
> speed, 2nd and 3rd work fine... the entire dash has been custom
> replaced <not original>...
> This will be my first/only delorean and I only make about $30k
> a year, but im willing to do whatever it takes to drive my dream
> car. Anyone have any suggestions?

Are you going to drive your dream, or end up possessing a nightmare?
Good chance it will be the latter. First thing you should do is read
this article by Dave Stragand called "How (NOT) to Buy A Cheap DeLorean":
http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm
In that article he mentions something known in the DeLorean community
called "the rule of 20". Here the rule in Dave's own words:

"The "Rule of 20", if you are unfamiliar with it, is Cost of DeLorean
+ Cost of parts and service = $20,000. That's about $5,000 more than a
D in nice shape to begin with..."

Now days I hear it's the "rule of 24" as in $24K, and no longer $20K.
So take $24K, subtract the $7K you pay for the car, and the remaining
$17K is what you will be looking at putting into it to end up with a
car worth about $19K. As with any collectible or vintage car, you are
better off buying the absolute best example you can afford because it
will be cheaper and less hassle in the long run. Trust me, that's 100%
true!

> ...said he tried it on the freeway and got it to 60mph but isnt a
> delorean fan and just wants to get rid of it.

He was enough of a fan to acquire the car, but he's probably no longer
a fan due to the mess he has on his hands. I think the "Project Car
Spiral" Dave mentioned probably applies here.

> I want to save up and get a v8 put in it eventually for a more
> reliable car.

That's not the solution for reliability issues. The DeLorean's PRV V6
is not a powerful engine, but when properly maintained it is a strong,
durable and RELIABLE engine. I've heard of those motors going 250K+
miles before needing an overhaul when maintained. V8s, as far as I
know, do not fit well, and cutting the frame would most likely be
required. Wrong move, at least in my personal opinion. Plus engine
swaps with a motor other than another PRV V6 requires someone with a
clue and experience. "Bubba" at the nearest general repair shop is not
the person for the job. I'd even venture to say that you will have
more issues with a different motor and a questionable install than you
would if you just properly fixed it's original factory components.
When all of a DeLorean's problems are found and properly addressed by
the right people, and the car is correctly cared for, you should have
very little trouble with it.

> ...but im having a hard time find out what kind of tranny
> these things have and how much they are to replace if this one needs
> to be replaced. Any and everyone I call has no idea what it has
> except for "delorean" transmission.

Please do not take this as an insult, but for someone who claims he
has always wanted a DeLorean, and that it's your "dream car", you
don't appear to know very much about them. With the Internet and
Google, there's no reason for this. If you Google the word "DeLorean",
the first result is DeLorean Motor Company in Houston. One call to
their 800 number would have told you what automatic transmission it
has, and how much it would cost to replace it if it indeed actually
needs to be replaced. It's a Renault transmission by the way. Going to
mechanics or shops not familiar with the car is asking for trouble.
The best people to service these cars are the DeLorean vendors who
offer service. The next best place would be a shop who specializes in
older Volvos and who are familiar with the B28F engine.

Here's another piece of advice. I'm not sure where you are, but we can
help you find the closest DeLorean club to you. I suggest you join,
and ask them to help you. Perhaps someone in that club can look at the
car for you before you spend the money. If the club closest to you is
anything like mine, AZ-D, it's the best money you can spend for
support and guidance. Also, I have a list of about 70 DeLorean related
links. E-mail me and I'll send them to you. Go to each one and READ
EVERYTHING! They are all the links that helped me "do my homework"
before I purchased.

> Im not really looking
> into restoring it to original parts. But am i going to have to use
> all my money and live in my car trying to replace the engine and
> tranny?

You need a qualified DeLorean mechanic to go over the car before it
can be determined whether you need a new powertrain or not. Chances
are you don't, but if after only 20K miles the powertrain is destroyed
from neglect and abuse, then the rest of the car was just as
mistreated, and you should walk away.

You didn't even mention the condition of the frame. If it's rusted
under the epoxy coating, then it's a parts car, period.

These are exotic cars, and in many cases they require a lot of
attention to keep them happy. You'd better keep a spot in your
personal budget just for the DeLorean.

I wish you luck. By coming to the DML you made smart move. Stay on
that path. Do your homework and make a smart decision based off of
what you learn. If your head is telling you to pass on this one, then
pass regardless of how bad you want one. There are about 6,000 more
out there to sort through. Wait 'till you can afford a good one.

Dan W.
VIN 16192
AZ-D