[DML] Re: Fuel pump gets hot...

Dan,

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it." I'm happy for you!

I have no pump problems this time of year. Everything I've done so far
to keep the fuel cool HAS produced incremental improvements, but you
make an interesting point about how a hot fuel pump might be a symptom
of another out-of-spec problem in the overall car system.

My own suspect along these lines is the electrical system.  What kind
of alternator do you run?  I'm still running the stock Motorola
alternator and spend most of my summer driving time idling with A/C
fan on max, fans on, hot road temps, etc.  This leads to a little sag
on the voltmeter.  Bad for the pump?  Maybe.

Then, of course, after losing my second pump, I discovered the pickup
filter was floating around loose inside the baffle!  I know the PO
replaced at least one pump, so who knows how long it had been that
way? It's pretty obvious crud in the pump will catch up with it and
all the other semi-failures may have just been warnings my pump was
clogging up. It's odd that this wouldn't have happened regardless of
heat but sometimes the problems do just come back to basics and a
little heat could have just be the proverbial straw.

So my new pump has a short non-collapsable pickup and a brand new
filter. It has a hot air dam. It has a fuel cooler. It is the diva of
my D. Has all this solved the real problem? We'll see what happens
when summer comes.

Marv
#10820
AZ-D